Together, One Last Day

“Together” is artist signed letterpress edition of 16 by Mark Murphy. Hand printed on 8” x 10 ¼” Rives BFK White, 250 gsm on January 29 through February 1, 2011. For you letterpress radicals, “Together” was printed on a Vandercook No. 3 proofing press at Zygote in Cleveland, Ohio.


“Together” started in my sketchbook, sitting on a plane and traveling away from my gal pal back home to San Diego. I know the emotion of separation is experienced by us all at some point and appropriate for the fast approaching flinging arrow archery contest hosted by Cupid and his Valentine Express.


Adding a twist to the sweet sixteen I decided to create a painting of sorts directly onto the Rives paper before printing, adding a custom application and approach to the concept of “one-of-a-kind.” The letterpress added a new dimension in my art making and really enjoyed the tactile nature of the letterpress process. (Although a thumbprint of printing ink really goes along way and finds its way onto everything).


Cathie Bleck was a trooper during the entire printing process, as she hung out all four days. (Long days too). “Together” is one of 4 different letterpress prints that will be released throughout the year in preparation of my first solo show April 15 at Subtext. Cathie and I both worked in tandem, exchanging ideas about art, galleries and future artistic pursuits. And on this last day of printing I am excited to present this piece to all of you. Please email me for acquisition information. More soon. Enjoy.

Related Posts by Categories



Total Pageviews